The Young Leader Award seeks to identify, recognise and reward the outstanding achievements of individuals in the Nursery & Garden Industry, who display exceptional commitment and passion towards their business, the industry and leadership potential for association and industry schemes.
It is open to all industry employees and employers under 35 years of age at the time the awards entry closes. Past state winners are welcome to enter for 2013 but past national winners are not. (If you enter as a past state winner, the development program courses are the same as 2012)
ENTRIES OPEN MONDAY AUGUST 13TH & CLOSE MONDAY SEPTEMBER 24TH @ 5PM
- Two references in support of your entry from an employer and from a customer or supplier.
- A submission answering questions 1-5 outlined on the next page with images & other support materials like adds, editorial etc to support your entry. You can submit your written entry in a word document but please feel free to submit support material in a DVD, YouTube clip or any other media format that judges can easily view.
The top 6 submissions will be chosen from all the entries (meaning there may be 2 or more of the top 6 entrants from one state) by a panel of 3 national judges. The 6 finalists will receive complementary registration to the 2014 National Conference to be held in Sydney in March 2014 along with flights, transfers and accommodation. The 2013 National Young Leader Winner will be announced at MIFGS in March 2013 (the specific event for the winner announcement is yet to be confirmed) state winners and finalists will be announced at the individual state end of year dinners.
The 6 finalists will also take part in the Young Leader Development Program. The Young Leader Development Program aims to provide Young Leader finalists with a greater understanding of the need for horticultural industry Young Leaders to be successful communicators, negotiators and influencers to ensure they have a hand in shaping the future of the industry and establishing a positive profile and representation.
The 2013 Young Leader Development Program will consist of:
Part 1: Political Process: Understanding Nursery Industry Levy – collection to application in industry (To be held in conjunction with MIFGS – March 2013)
Part 2: Media: How to work with the media (industry & consumer), Media Planning and Crisis Management (to be held in Sydney date TBC)
Part 3: Choice of workshop
NGIA will subsidise a training course of your choice to the value of $500 including GST.
Subsidies are not transferrable. Young Leaders are to provide confirmation to NGIA of registration prior to 20 August 2013 with an invoice for NGIA; the subsidy will be forwarded within NGIA payment terms. Young Leaders will be required to provide confirmation of attendance at the course. If confirmation is not received by 15 December 2013 NGIA will invoice the Young Leader for a refund of the subsidy.
As well as the development program, the national winner will also experience exclusive exposure to industry leaders and managers through two intimate meetings (NGIA board meeting and an Industry advisory committee meeting) which will occur throughout 2013. Here the Young Leader winner will develop skills and network with more senior members of the industry to assist in the succession planning of the Industry into the future.
2013 Young Leader Award entry criteria
- You must be under 35 years of age at the time the awards entry closes
- You must submit 4 pages answering the criteria outlined below in Arial 11 font, plus 6 images and 6 pieces of support material. Also include 1 reference from your employer and 1 reference from a customer or supplier.
- If you become one of the 6 finalists you must be committed to taking part in the Young Leader Development Program and committed to attending the NGIA National Conference to be held for 3-4 days in March 2014. ( Date TBC)
- If you are announced as the national winner you must attend conference, the Young Leader development program along with attending two industry meetings within the year in various states.
Question 1: Please provide an overview of your involvement in industry activities/schemes and why you joined the nursery & garden industry? Please write 1 page
(For example: How long you have been working in the industry, your qualifications, commitment and passion for the industry, involvement in industry activities like NextGen etc)
Question 2: Explain how you have contributed to your employer’s business (if employed) or how you manage your own business (if you are self employed). Please write 1 page
(For example: Improving processes, sales and/or marketing initiatives, internal communications, staff morale, training etc)
Question 3: What are the key skills you have developed since entering the industry and what plans do you have for further training? Please write 1 page
(For example: Practical skills, handling of equipment and product, OH&S, office/IT skills, management, sales, retail etc through courses, seminars, conferences, workshops, accreditation, on and off job training etc)
Question 4: What is your customer service philosophy and how do you deliver on your customer promise? Please write ½ a page
Question 5: Where do you see your career in the next five years? Please write ½ a page
(For example: career goals, further skills and knowledge you require, further industry experience etc)
Please email your written submissions to email@example.com by 5pm September 24th 2012